Friday, February 11, 2011

Sticking it to the man, shoe styles

These ladies have history.  I bought these in my first year of law school, many moons ago.  I had already completed one year of University so was familiar with campus, exams and the whole Uni vibe.  What I was not prepare for was the oddly separate School of Law.

All of the students, including myself, had a sense of pride in attending law school.  There's a peculiar mystique about it that, of course, I discovered later is conjured out of absolutely nothing.  But at the time we all went along with it.  Some, however, got carried away.  Entering the library could be like stepping back in time: stiffness, oddly conservative dressing to the point of warped nun-ish-ness and don't you dare even consider speaking above a whisper.  The atmosphere was rife with competition that today both sickens me and makes me laugh.

At the time it was intimidating.  I knew I had to mess with it.  That sort of atmosphere is just asking for it.  I wasn't going to turn up my collar, wear moleskins and moccasins and whisper with these snobbish freaks - who the hell were these conservative little twerps?  Determined not to become one of them (and be seen not to) it I came across these.  Ah, my private resistance against "boring".

I guess I was to law school what Helena Bonham Carter is to a red carpet.  Hopefully with more aesthetic success.

x