Wednesday, February 9, 2011

AUD OCD

At the height of my online shopping craze, my desire for beautiful things was absorbed with the benefits of the strong Australian dollar on my increasing foreign purchasing power.  At one point I had more than 10 separate orders from 4 different English and US websites dispatched and in transit on their way to me.  Can you now see why I tend to slink past the mail guy and front desk ladies?  

The "funny money" I used didn't seem real.  It was a click and not coins or notes that delivered my pretty packaged things.  Somehow marketing nerds had captured my interest to a point that they had disconnected the pain of purchasing from the pleasure.  I was hell bent on accumulation.  It really was AUD OCD.

I made decisions in cyberspace that I wouldn't have made in the flesh.  I am not saying that I dislike some or any of my purchases.  It's more that my decision making was softened by the disconnection from reality.

This is one such example.  I was first quite legitimately drawn to the shoes: lovely rounded toe, interesting pattern, good brand, sweet detailing, great height..... But as I went to click "Pay Now" my screen suggested I check out the matching dress.  Same deal.  Great pattern, good brand, sweet detailing, good shape..... I added it to my cart and noticed a matching bag.  I'm sure you can imagine what happened next: I noticed the pattern, brand, detailing etc.  Oh, and the scarf to complete the set.

What the hell did I need an entire matching set for?  When my package arrived I realised the truth: individually these items are great but together they are a nightmare and mash of "too much" that should be worn separately.  The only items I would have bought individually are the shoes and the dress.  The bag and scarf, eh, no.

This exercise of giving my 77 shoes a "fair go" has really helped to slap me around enough to see that I possibly did go a little too far.  My bank account and I thank you for reading!

x