Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Karmic tomato

A few years ago, I spent Christmas in Taipei with Sanchia and her daughter, Cueba.  That's C.u.EEEE.b.a to those who knew her when she was learning to spell.  We had spent the day out of Taipei in an unpronounceable place by the sea.  It was beautiful and quirky, much like the rest of the Taipei I saw during my stay.

I hadn't been buying much as, being a Euro giant, it was too depressing selecting Asian sized garments.  Shoes on the other hand were fine.  Mostly.  It was nearly the end of the day and Sanchia spied them first.  Unfortunately, they didn't have her size and I recall her making comments about small Asian sizing as we had day after day about the clothes.  My mind retaliated like it was a challenge.  I was going to fit into those kooky shiny shoes no matter what.

Keeping my face as calm as possible, I slipped my foot into my usual size and announced that it was too big and that I wanted the half size down.  My inside voice at this point was saying "are you kidding me?"  I squished myself into the smaller size and declared them a perfect fit.  They weren't, but they are do-able.  Honestly, I'm not sure I'll ever mature.

Afterwards, we celebrated by buying strawberry sticks: pink sugar coated strawberry kebabs to be more precise.  I'll never forget getting to the end of my stick.  I can see the whole thing in slow motion:  I was raising the stick of deliciousness to my mouth as Cueba looked quizzically at me and said "that doesn't look like a strawberry", but I was committed, the stick was going in, my teeth clenching down, my face turning from bliss into horror, Cueba's face lighting up from confusion to uncontrolled laughter as we both realised the truth at the same time.  A treacherous sugar coated tomato was on the end of my stick and I had just squished it into my mouth!

YUCK!  It was awful.  I was so unprepared for that.  I had been expecting strawberry deliciousness within the pink sugar casing to round off the whole experience but that was simply awful.  I can only put it down to the universe knocking me off my high shoe-horse of earlier in the day.  I have never heard a kid laugh as much as Cueba did at me.  Fair call, it was pretty funny.

x