Monday, February 14, 2011

Justifying my love

I bought these shoes nearly one decade ago.  All of a sudden I feel justified in amassing such a large number of shoes.  It was my first job in law and somehow I had found myself in Wellington, New Zealand rushing about after a bunch of barristers.  To blow off steam I went shopping.

Wellington is a lovely city and my home town.  It doesn't feel like home anymore - I left nearly 15 years ago - but, it still makes me smile and is home to some of my favourite people.  Wellington is relaxed and quirky, has style without arrogance and on a clear day is really quite special.

After a long day of killing trees and trying to stay awake through another festival of yawning (also known as "a hearing") I was actively seeking a distraction.  Shoes were an easy win and in my dour state I was immediately drawn to the light, leather and mass of colour that can only be found in a shoe shop.  As my eyes fell on this pair I went from black to sunshine in seconds.  They are beautiful.

x