Saturday, February 26, 2011

A clog blog

How is it that a type of shoe traditionally worn by workers as protective clothing in factories, mines and farms has entered and re-entered mainstream and high end fashion so many times?  My first encounter with a clog was when I attended Wellington Girls' High School in New Zealand.

Our uniform was something that only sarcasm can do justice to:  teal all over with black and gold interspersed.  An "interesting" choice.  In fact, who the heck made that choice?  Who is responsible for the travesty that is school uniforms?  Why is it necessary to create hideousness where none is required.  It seems to me that the job description for school uniform designer must include:  "the applicant must possess the special ability to make a daisy look like a toad, and have special qualifications in poor taste."

In any event, I would have been about 14 at the time and clogs came on my radar.  We were allowed to wear black shoes as I recall and I had a constant battle with my mother to find shoes that were "sensible" and "for school", yet made me feel like a had a personality larger than an ant.  Clogs were it.  I acquired my first pair and was temporarily much happier.

These are somewhat different to the clogs I wore at school but somehow they pull super chic out of what used to be a blue collar staples.  I suggest that whomever was responsible for making clogs cool should next turn their hand to school uniforms.


x