Saturday, March 12, 2011

A pair of pairs

I doubled up to make up for yesterday.  It's a double double really because before you I present two pairs of the same two, one in pink, one in black.  I do the same with cardigans.  At one point in time I recall owning a yellow, red, two black, two white and one pink - ALL the same cardigan.  What am I, the rainbow flag of apparel?

When acquisition mode hits, sense and reason really are replaced by lust for pretty things.  Where did this lust come from?  Is this some kind of primal urge to create beauty around ourselves?  To attract a lover perhaps?  I know that's not why I love beautiful things, I just love them but.... Ohhhhhh, penny just dropped.  This must be the explanation for "Soccer Mom" haircuts, something I loathe with as much force as my loathing for sneakers with jeans.

I have never been able to get my head around how (some, and it is only some) beautiful vibrant women suddenly become frumps on marrying or having children.  I've met women who are younger than me but look at least 10 years older and had once been lovely.  It's like a light has gone out and I have never understood why.  Is it because they've "got the goods", as they see it?  Weird mindset.

I loathe the Soccer Mom haircut because it so often seems to be found on women who have lost themselves.  Maybe I'm projecting because if I cut my hair that way or lost my joy in dress ups to the extent that I stopped taking pride in my appearance, then something would be very wrong.  I would be lost.  Maybe that's not true for everyone.  There is definitely a risk that my view is judgmental and naive but I think there is at least a grain of truth in my line of thinking for the minority of the population who sport this doo.

I know loads of beautiful women who have continued to celebrate their femininity post marriage and babies by adorning themselves like happy women should.  To me, it's part of being female to celebrate it outwardly and happily.  Bring on the lust.

x