Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Gender bender

I like to mess with rules.  Our realities are our own.  Hmmm that's a concept I can enjoy.

A few years ago I was best (fe-)man at the wedding of two of my best friends, Danny and Amelia who live miles and miles away from me in the "Shaky Isles" of New Zealand.  They are each so unique, so earnest and so simply themselves.  Thinking of them makes my eyes water and my heart do a little twist.

They married in the iconic Christchurch Cathedral that sadly, following last week's earthquake, is now in broken ruins.  Their marriage in that place with me beside Danny in a "man's role" was one of the most feminine moments of my life as I witnessed two people I love, so in love with one another.  I stood  beside them both and beamed in their happiness.  Gender was irrelevant.  It was a moment of honesty that transcended tradition and rules.  Friendship and love was all that mattered.  The truth in the air was palpable.

Of course, I took the opportunity to embrace the contradiction of my role.  I love the perfection in opposites of Danny's choice of best man.  Let's be honest - I reveled in it much like a pig in mud.  I wore these shoes with my "fe-suit" and towered over the entire wedding party. I guess men are generally taller than women so if I was going to play a "man's role" I took the mandate seriously.  Any opportunity to push a boundry.....

x