Friday, January 21, 2011

Training heels

I have a little online shopping addiction.  It started with eBay and has graduated to ShopBop, Net-A-Porter and ASOS.  The Australian Dollar is just so damned good right now.  When I saw these particular shoes online I immediately began to shine from the inside out.  I wanted them.  Badly.

Within a few clicks I had passed over my online funny money (if you can't see it, it isn't real) and was tracking my item, these shoes, from the United Kingdom to Australia.

I have my online purchases sent to work.  It's easier and safer.  The downside is I now know I have a real problem because every time another package arrives the front desk ladies and mail guy make jokes, not about me needing a bigger wardrobe, but about me needing a bigger home.  This particular arrival was no exception.  On receipt of my package I slunk quickly past the front desk and mail guy, smiled at their jokes and started to rationalise the truth away.  The addiction runs deep.

Once over my shame and safely in my office I slipped my feet in, fastened the buckles and stood up.  I felt something unfamiliar.  I felt wobbly.  Whatttttttttttttttttttttt!? I have always been the girl who walks to work in heels.  I have clambered over rocks, climbed mountains, traipsed through snow and run after cabs, all in very high heels.  Seriously, I have pictures to prove it.  But these shoes have defeated me.

They look so good on: sexy, flattering and best of all, an alluring sort of "screw you" cool.  They are beautifully made and of the highest quality but the base is inflexible.  Even though the platform makes the heel height a walk in the park, the angle of the heel cuts that walk short.  I can't believe it.  I'm the girl who scoffs at "those girls" who teeter along so clearly out of their depth in heels I would run in.  These are the only shoes I own for which I require training heels.  If it weren't for the wobble they would be my number one love.

Perhaps practice (I wince) makes perfect.  Today I'll find out.

Enjoy x