Thursday, January 20, 2011

Cashing in early

These are my current favourite.  Especially to make bland work clothes more interesting.  They are a little beaten up (a demonstration of my love) but still lovely: an easy height, sweet peep toe, deconstructed fabric and solid heel without taking away from the overall elegance.

I bought these puppies early last year from a little shop on the island part of Florianopolis in Brazil.  It had started raining so instead of drinking ridiculous quantities of beer and caipirinhas on the beach all day my friends and I went shopping in the Centro district.

Brazilians make beautiful shoes, which was only one of the things I adored about Brazil.  My overall take on Brazil was pleasure is highly valued as is the nation's genuine love of women being deliciously feminine.  Simple, unpretentious delight in loveliness.  I thrived.

These shoes showed up very early in our day. I wasn't sure of the heel because it's chunkier than I would usually go for but I loved the colour and the fabric detailing.  I noted our position and gave it my "do I really want it test".  This test involves observing myself to see whether I am still thinking about the object of my then desire at a later time rather than just a transitory attraction.

I saw these shoes two more times throughout the day.  On the third sighting I knew I was delighted by them for more than just a moment because, by that stage, rather than just browsing I was actively looking for them each time I went into another shoe shop.  I immediately walked out of the shoe store, purchased an additional suitcase and then marched back to the shoe shop to pick them up.  The explanation for the additional suitcase will become apparent as we go on and more and more Brazilian shoes make an appearance.

I'm cashing in on a favourite early.  Day two and I've placed an embargo on a dear friend.  Serves me right for what I did to Lady Green.

Enjoy x