Monday, March 21, 2011

Rave girl loves the DJ

Every so often I notice that the years are ticking by.  This observation is especially acute when a really good trance or drum and bass DJ crosses my path.  I can't help myself but push my way to the front and go into a zone of dance so familiar and so dear to my soul that the truth of it's retro vibe is embarrassing.

I'm the girl who snuck out of my parents home to go to raves mid week then held my eyes open with determination at school the next day.   I'm also the girl who dated the DJ, has a power femme look and no matter how "proper" I become my stomach still does a flip flop when I hear the music I have loved so much for so long.

I moved city for University.  Sadly, the city I moved to, Christchurch, was more into beer drinking songs than worshipping at the altar of DJ all night long.  It was misery for my retro hippy soul.  But, to put a positive spin on an unfamiliar and uncomfortable situation I did find out exactly how much I loved the DJ.  Absence made my heart grow fonder.

The last outing for these shoes was at D-Edge, a brilliant club in Sao Paulo, Brazil.  Check it out:  www.d-edge.com.br/

We had only arrived in Brazil hours earlier and frankly I felt awful after the long journey from Australia.  But the second I heard that sound, the retro hippy chick in me forgot my tiredness, ditched my friends, ran to the front and danced the awful away.

It's funny because I've obviously found my Woodstock.  Trance is my flower power.  In years to come, I will be the wrinkled woman who embarrasses her kids by still running for the DJ every time she hears those tunes.

x